This blog is a focussed experiment. I wanted to test my ability to publish and produce a taut multi-media blog on something. I attended TAM7 in July. It struck me as the perfect 4-day crash course. The "course" didn't go as well as I hoped, but I learned a lot. I'm continuting to update as I have the opportunity to - eventually I'll have covered the entirety of my experience at the conference.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Few Flies in the Ointment

I've found out a few things over the last day that will get in the way of doing this smoothly, but I guess that's just part of the learning curve...

For starters - and this is really just common sense and not really a surprise:
The sessions in the conference while allowing for recording, those recordings are intended to be used for personal use only. Totally understandable, that one. That will limit how much I post from the session, though I don't think I would have posted much anyhow.

Secondly - and this is the one that really burns my ass: No free WiFi. In the hotel room it's $25 for 24 hours (and we won't spend a lot of time there); and in the convention centre it's something like $80 for 4 hours! Burn. So I'm thinking I'll spend do a lot of prep off-line (like ye olde days) and then go find an internet cafe or coffeehouse with free WiFi.... assuming I'm not being naieve about coffeehouses in Vegas.

At least there's a free shuttle to & from the airport. That'll save some bucks. Perhaps Paul and I can pool what would have been cab-fare into the WiFi for our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment