This blog is a focussed experiment. I wanted to test my ability to publish and produce a taut multi-media blog on something. I attended TAM7 in July. It struck me as the perfect 4-day crash course. The "course" didn't go as well as I hoped, but I learned a lot. I'm continuting to update as I have the opportunity to - eventually I'll have covered the entirety of my experience at the conference.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Can’t Sleep

Couldn't sleep 'til after 2am and I still woke up of my own accord before 6. I'm more anxious/excited than I realized. Fortunately I am able to function quite well on less than six hours of sleep a night for weeks on end. Eventually I crash and catch up, whether it's on my terms or not, but I'm far from that point this weekend as it happened last on this past Sunday.

Got up and took care of a few final bits, that were on the list – like clipping my nails really really short. Those bastards who screwed air-travel up for all the rest of us... damn them and their conspiracy (of 19 men in four planes and probably a few more in the planning stages – none of whom worked for the US government at ANY level)! I have a small pathology whereby I can't have my nails grow long – it totally sketches me out. So by not being able to bring nail clippers on the plane (not checking any bags – just carry ons) I have to plan in advance and cut my nails as short as possible so that by Sunday I'm not losing my mind. (If it happens I'll just buy clippers there – it'll only be a few bucks thrown away.) TMI?

I lay awake last night unable to stop myself from formulating all kinds of imaginary interactions – whether it was celebrity skeptics like Adam Savage or Phil Plait, or just plain ol' folk. I think I've already lived through 3 or 4 different iterations of the Canadian Contingent Meet-up. Apologies to James Randi for not including him on the 'celebrity list' – it is after all his foundation that sponsors the event. But I already had my own run in with him earlier this year. The thought of talking to Bill Prady one on one nearly sends me into a fugue.

The Amazing Randi was doing the keynote address for the UBC science week. I went to it and then to an off-schedule Skeptics in the Pub. Ninety minutes into the SitP who should walk in and plop himself down right beside me but James Randi. Randi made his well-worn declaration about how when people tell him they are skeptics he fires back with "I doubt it!" There was a prolonged pause as people found themselves star struck. I was the first to pull out of that mental tail-spin and asked Randi a question that was well off the beaten track. "Mr. Randi, can you tell me about Alice Cooper?" I am sure that he must get asked all kinds of questions on a regular basis and his days with Alice Cooper can't be too high on the list. He was there perhaps forty five minutes. He talked about Alice Cooper for at least fifteen of them.

Which leaves me with the question... "What the hell do I ask Bill Prady that he doesn't hear all the time?" Perhaps I'll quickly google him. I have the time, even though I just heard the alarm go... I am now well ahead of my schedule.

NOTE: I suspect from here on out my postings will be late and possibly back-dated. I'm not going to have the time to post them promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment